Skip to main content

Bartholomew United Methodist Church (Morehouse Parish, La.) records

Identifier: LACUMC-1986-016

Scope and Contents

This collection documents the activities of the Bartholomew United Methodist Church (Morehouse Parish, La.). The collection includes membership records, quarterly conference records, administrative records, financial records, bulletins, and insurance policies. Also included are the congregation’s Epworth League records (1939-1941); this young adult association’s meeting minutes describe the group organizing events at the church and coordinating projects such as a fundraiser to paint the church.


  • 1847 - 2021


Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Physical rights are retained by the Centenary College of Louisiana Archives and Special Collections. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.

Biographical / Historical

Bartholomew United Methodist Church (Morehouse Parish, La.) is located at 14974 Old Bonita Road, Bastrop, Louisiana.

Local settler William Skanes wanted to start a Masonic lodge and Jay Philip Stiles wanted to start a Methodist Society. A crude meeting place was set up in 1796. A building was constructed in 1807 to hold both groups, though Stiles died that same year. In the early 1 800s, circuit riders were assigned to the Ouachita Circuit and are said to have held services at Bartholomew. [Although this information was found by Dr. Houston Roberts in Masonic records, it cannot be verified.]

The first recorded pastor to preach in the Bartholomew area was Rev. John G. Jones in 1826.

According to a paper found in Mrs. Matilda Johnson’s Bible, the first frame church building was dedicated on June 25, 1835.

The current building was constructed in 1853 by the Methodists and the Masons. There were two doors in the front and one behind the pulpit. The Masons would access the upper floor by an exterior stairway. The Masons later surrendered their charter in 1899. In 1859 the church acquired the deed to the 13 acres of land occupied by the church and cemetery.

In the 1940s, an inside staircase was built to the second floor, which was converted to a fellowship hall and Sunday School rooms.

The church was renovated (which included new pews) in the mid 1950s. A major change was the larger vestibule added in 1957 (replacing a smaller one added in 1950), which had a classroom on one side and restrooms on the other. In 1960, the second floor was remodeled and the sanctuary floor covered with new oak flooring. Two years later, the youth bought a lighted cross for the sanctuary and the Pings donated a new organ.

In 1986, the church was listed as a National Methodist Historical Site. In 1989, a new fellowship hall was built near the church and dedicated the following year by Bishop William Oden.

Bartholomew United Methodist Church disaffiliated from the United Methodist Church in 2023.

Source: Timothy Hebert, “The Historical Register of the Louisiana Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church,” (Louisiana: Louisiana Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, 2004), page MO-5.


1.5 Linear Feet

Language of Materials



Organized by subject, then chronologically.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Collection consists of three transfers. Church register (accession 1986-016) and Epworth League records (accession 1995-016) transferred by unidentified person (perhaps Mildred Nolan). Additional materials (accession 2023-043) transferred by Brenda Bullock in 2023.

Finding Aid to the Bartholomew United Methodist Church (Morehouse Parish, La.) records
Jasmine Jones, Olivia Brignac, and Chris Brown
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Centenary College of Louisiana Archives and Special Collections Repository

2911 Centenary Blvd.
Shreveport LA 71104 US
(318) 869-5462