Bartholomew Methodist Church (Morehouse Parish, La.)
Bartholomew Methodist Church (Morehouse Parish, La.) traces its origins to the 1790s. The congregation had a long-standing connection to the community’s Masons. The two organizations shared a building until 1899, when the Bartholomew Lodge surrendered their charter. In 1853, the Bartholomew congregation and the masons dedicated a new building, which is recognized as one of the oldest United Methodist churches in Louisiana. In 1986, the church was designated a United Methodist Historic Site.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Scope and Contents This collection consists of administrative records for Bartholomew Methodist Church (Morehouse Parish, La.). A church register acquired in 1882 -- with additional information documenting prior years -- contains the following sections: pastors (1847-1899), members (1882-1902), deaths and disposals (1879-1890), baptisms (1879-1902), and marriages (1879-1902). Also included are the congregation’s Epworth League records (1939-1941). This young adult association’s meeting minutes describe the group...
Dates: 1847 - 1941