Skip to main content

Eros United Methodist Church (Eros, La.) records

 Collection
Identifier: LACUMC-2016-005

Scope and Contents

This collection documents the activities of Eros United Methodist Church (Eros, La.). It includes membership records, quarterly conference records, charge conference records, Administrative Board records, committee records, insurance records, photographs, bulletins, scholarship records, and printed items.

The quarterly conference and charge conference records from the 1950s and 1960s include material from Frantom Chapel Methodist Church (Ouachita Parish, La.). The Administrative Board records and charge conference records from the 1980s and 1990s contain material from Antioch United Methodist Church (Eros, La.). The Administrative Board records (1998-2009) contains material from the Clay-Quitman charge.

Dates

  • 1906 - 2015

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Physical rights are retained by the Centenary College of Louisiana Archives and Special Collections. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.

Biographical / Historical

Eros United Methodist Church was located at the northeast intersection of Louisiana Highway 34 and 2nd Avenue, Eros, Louisiana.

The church was organized in 1904 by Rev. Charles Bly. The first Board of Trustees consisted of Julian M. Collins, Dr. J.N. Hoad, and Sam M. Collins.

The second church was built in 1944 under the leadership of Rev. F.L. Hearne. Though it was replaced by the present church structure in 1980, the second church building still stands. The third church held its first service on Easter Sunday 1980 under the leadership of Rev. William B. Shaw.

Eros United Methodist Church was discontinued and abandoned in 2016.

Source: Timothy Hebert, “The Historical Register of the Louisiana Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church,” (Louisiana: Louisiana Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, 2004), page MO-31.

Extent

1.5 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Arranged by subject, then chronologically.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The first accession (2016-005) was transferred by Frances Hooton (pastor of Couley-Sanders Chapel charge in the Monroe District) in March 2016. A second accession (2017-003) was transferred by Lynn Malone (pastor of First United Methodist Church of Monroe, La.) in January 2017.

Title
Finding Aid to Eros United Methodist Church (Eros, La.) records
Author
Beth Vogler and Chris Brown
Date
2025
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Centenary College of Louisiana Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
2911 Centenary Blvd.
Shreveport LA 71104 US
(318) 869-5462