Pipkin’s Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church South (East Baton Rouge Parish, La.) records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of a photocopy reproduction of an administrative record book for Pipkin’s Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church South (East Baton Rouge Parish, La.). It contains three membership rolls (1874-1885 on pages 2-8, 1885-1888 on pages 30-38, 1888-1898 on pages 40-56) and church conference meeting minutes (1874-1883 on pages 9-28, 1888 on page 39).
- 1874 - 1898
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Centenary College of Louisiana Archives and Special Collections. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Pipkin’s Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church South (East Baton Rouge Parish, La.) appears to have begun in the late 1850s. It was located on the Old Bayou Sara Road near the communities of Port Hudson and Zachary, Louisiana. Although in Louisiana, Pipkin’s Chapel, like most Methodist Episcopal Church South congregations in Louisiana’s Florida Parishes, was part of the Mississippi Conference until 1894. In 1890, some members of the congregation formed the Zachary Methodist Episcopal Church South (Zachary, La.). Pipkin’s Chapel closed in the late 1890s.
Language of Materials
Organized by subject, then chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Collection donated by Margaret Harmon in 2017.
- Finding Aid to the Pipkin’s Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church South (East Baton Rouge Parish, La.) records
- Chris Brown
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description