Skip to main content

Walker United Methodist Church (Walker, La.) records

 Collection
Identifier: LACUMC-2021-031

Scope and Contents

This collection primarily documents the activities of Walker United Methodist Church (Walker, La.). It includes membership records, administrative records, insurance records, property records, church histories, photographs, and scrapbooks. The administrative records include some charge conference records (1972-1974) about the nearby congregations Friendship United Methodist Church (Livingston Parish, La.) and Mangum Chapel United Methodist Church (Livingston Parish, La.). Three scrapbooks document general church activities, and five other scrapbooks document the congregation's United Methodist Women group. All scrapbooks include photographs, printed items, and clippings.

Also included is material from the nearby Corbin United Methodist Church (Corbin, La.), which merged with Walker United Methodist Church (Walker, La.) in 2017. Material from the Corbin congregation includes membership, charge conference, and insurance records.

Dates

  • 1960 - 2017

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Physical rights are retained by the Centenary College of Louisiana Archives and Special Collections. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.

Biographical / Historical

Walker United Methodist Church was located at 30102 Stump Street, Walker, Louisiana. In 2017, Corbin United Methodist Church merged with Walker United Methodist Church.

Walker United Methodist Church began in 1840, William S. Townsend donated six acres of land for the establishment of a church. He gave the Louisiana Conference the title to the land in 1842. An arbor made of palmetto leaves was constructed and called Union Church, since Methodist, Baptists, and the Holiness worshipped there. In 1858, cutting of lumber for a new church began at Capt. Thomas Gibbens’ sawmill in Port Vincent. He cut the wood with a pit saw and dressed the lumber by hand. The church was built near the cemetery and was named Palmetto Methodist Church. It was used from 1860 to 1900. In 1900, the church received its first Conference minister. Rev. Cargill made the trip from Denham Springs, where he lived. By 1911, the church had 92 members. In 1917, the old church was torn down and a new one built on the same site. Lamp shelves on the side walls held kerosene lamps to illuminate the church. In 1928, the Conference allowed the church to move from the cemetery site to the present site, and the church became the Walker Methodist Episcopal Church, South. A new church was built in 1930 at a cost of $4,500. The parsonage at the old cemetery site was still used for a time. The church bell is said to come from an abandoned church in the Frost community. In 1960, fundraising began towards a new church. After the existing church was damaged by Hurricane Betsy in 1965, work began on the new church. It was completed on October 8, 1967. The church was dedicated on June 16, 1974, with Bishop Finis Crutchfield giving the message. A steeple was added to the church in 1987. A new parsonage was bought at the corner of Stump Street and Wildcat Drive in the early 1970s.

Corbin United Methodist Church was located at 30100 Mayer Street, Corbin, Louisiana. Corbin United Methodist Church began when a group of people who lived in the Corbin area (and had been attending the Walker Church) decided to form a church of their own in 1963. Corbin was a railroad town that had earlier been annexed by Walker. Members met at Juanita Jackson’s garage until a church could be built. Services were held “at the crack of dawn”, since that was the only time Rev. Ted Howes from Denham Springs could make it. Sunday school was held in the rooms of her house following the service. Prayer meetings were held in the garage on Wednesday evenings. A call was sent out for a pastor willing to organize the fledgling congregation. They asked that whoever wished to serve the church had to have his own home as the church since they still did not have a church or parsonage. Rev. Art Meinke, a lay minister at Live Oak Methodist Church, accepted the role as leader of the Corbin congregation. Glenn and Walter Coburn donated a piece of property for the new church, and the clearing of the land began on June 23, 1963. Construction began on November 3, 1963 and was completed in less than 2 months. The first service in the new church was held on January 1, 1964. The Sam Davidson Construction Company, which had built the church, donated a communion table and folding chairs to the congregation.

Walker United Methodist Church (Walker, La.) closed in 2019.

Source: Timothy Hebert, “The Historical Register of the Louisiana Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church,” (Louisiana: Louisiana Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, 2004), pages BR-18, BR-79.

Extent

3.25 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Arranged in two series:

Series 1: Walker United Methodist Church (1960-2017) Sub-Series 1: Church Records (1960-2017) Sub-Series 2: Photographs (1960-2010) Sub-Series 3: Scrapbooks (1979-2015)

Series 2: Corbin United Methodist Church (1963-2017)

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred by Mary Burleigh (Louisiana Conference UMC Communications Assistant) on behalf of Rhonda Whitley (Louisiana Conference UMC Ministry Coordinator of Congregational Development and Transformation) in 2021.

Title
Finding Aid to the Walker United Methodist Church (Walker, La.) records
Author
Lillian Klingeberg, Lauren Troncoso, and Chris Brown
Date
2026
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Centenary College of Louisiana Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
2911 Centenary Blvd.
Shreveport LA 71104 US
(318) 869-5462