Belcher United Methodist Church (Belcher, La.) records
Scope and Contents
This collection documents the activities of Belcher United Methodist Church (Belcher, La.). It includes membership records, administrative records, property records, printed items, photographs, a scrapbook, and guestbooks. Quarterly conference records contain information about the nearby congregation of Gilliam Methodist Church (Gilliam, La.). Also included are records of the congregation’s Sunday schools and Women’s Society of Christian Service. The printed items consist of bulletins, programs, newsletters, directories, and church histories.
- 1900 - 2003
- Belcher United Methodist Church (Belcher, La.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Physical rights are retained by the Centenary College of Louisiana Archives and Special Collections. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.
Biographical / Historical
Belcher United Methodist Church (Belcher, La.) traces its origins to 1904. In the congregation’s early years, services were held on the lower floor of a two-story building also used for community dances and a school. Services were also held in the community’s Presbyterian church. In 1916, the Belcher Methodist congregation constructed its first church building. This structure was replaced with a new sanctuary dedicated in 1955. In 2003, the Belcher congregation merger with Gilliam United Methodist Church (Gilliam, La.).
3 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
This item is organized by subject, then chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Unidentified transfer circa 2009.
- Administrative records
- Church bulletins
- Church records and registers -- Louisiana -- Caddo Parish
- Gilliam Methodist Church (Gilliam, La.)
- Histories (literary works)
- Methodist Church (U.S.). Louisiana Conference (South Central Jurisdiction)
- Methodist Church (U.S.). Louisiana Conference. Woman's Society of Christian Service
- Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Louisiana Conference
- Minutes (administrative records)
- Programs (documents)
- Property records
- Sunday schools
- United Methodist Church (U.S.). Louisiana Conference
- Finding Aid to the Belcher United Methodist Church (Belcher, La.) records
- Riane Faas and Chris Brown
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description