Skip to main content

Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church (South Central Jurisdiction) records

 Collection
Identifier: LACUMC-Alexandria District MCSCJ

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of the minutes of annual meetings (called a District Conference) by the Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church (South Central Jurisdiction). These meetings were attended by the district’s clergy and lay delegates from each pastoral charge; it was presided over by the district superintendent.

The minutes document the administrative activities of the meetings and regularly include a roll of members, lay activities, resolutions, and reports from the following: Woman’s Society of Christian Service, Board of Education, Committee on Evangelism, Committee on Christian Literature, Committee on Spiritual State of the Church, Committee on American Bible Society, Committee on Hospitals and Homes, and Committee on Ministerial Qualifications.

Note: the 1940 meeting minutes appear in the 1932-1940 minute book for the Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

Dates

  • 1941 - 1968

Conditions Governing Access

Collection is open for research.

Conditions Governing Use

Physical rights are retained by the Centenary College of Louisiana Archives and Special Collections. Copyright is retained in accordance with U.S. copyright laws.

Biographical / Historical

The Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church (South Central Jurisdiction) originated through the multi-denominational Methodist merger in 1939. Prior to 1939, the district was the Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.

In 1940, the district reported 8,094 “total full members – active,” 33 pastoral charges, and 75 church buildings. The district consisted of congregations in central Louisiana stretching from Winnfield (north) to Opelousas (south) and Pleasant Hill (west) to Ferriday (east).

Through the 1968 merger of two denominations – the Methodist Church and the Evangelical United Brethren Church – the Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church (South Central Jurisdiction) became the Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference A of the United Methodist Church (South Central Jurisdiction). In 1968, the district reported 9,848 “full members” and 62 “organized churches.”

Extent

0.75 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Arrangement

Arranged chronologically.
Title
Finding Aid to the Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church (South Central Jurisdiction) records
Author
Chris Brown
Date
2018
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Centenary College of Louisiana Archives and Special Collections Repository

Contact:
2911 Centenary Blvd.
Shreveport LA 71104 US
(318) 869-5462