Lutcher United Methodist Church (Lutcher, La.)
Biography
Lutcher United Methodist Church was located at 2347 Texas Street, Lutcher, Louisiana.
The Lutcher United Methodist Church began in 1898 and was the first Protestant church organized in the area. William H. Curtis, a Methodist from New Orleans, moved to town to work in a sawmill. Mr. Curtis "being exercised by the godlessness he saw on all hands, in answer to prayer, God gave him to see some could be converted." (from the original church records)
The first congregation included about 40 people from various Protestant denominations. A Methodist congregation was organized on December 30, 1898, at a meeting held by Rev. Edward W. Osburn, Presiding Elder of the New Orleans Central District of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Mr. Curtis was appointed pastor and trustees were elected.
The sanctuary was completed and dedicated on May 5, 1901, under the leadership of Rev. J. W. Tinnin. The Lutcher-Moore Lumber Company provided a home for a parsonage. It was purchased from the company in 1934 for a nominal sum. Since 1960, that home has been used for various church functions.
In 1992, the building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
Lutcher United Methodist Church closed in June 2024.
Source: Timothy Hebert, “The Historical Register of the Louisiana Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church,” (Louisiana: Louisiana Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, 2004), page AC-23.
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
Lutcher United Methodist Church (Lutcher, La.) records
This collection documents the activities of Lutcher United Methodist Church (Lutcher, La.). It includes meeting minutes, clippings, programs, correspondence, photographs, guestbook, and a book of memorials.
