Friendship Methodist Episcopal Church South (Caddo Parish, La.)
Biography
Around 1840, the Friendship Methodist Episcopal Church (Caddo Parish, La.) was organized. Mark McCutcheon donated land on the south side of Colquitt Road about four miles west of Mansfield Road and a log structure was built by McCutcheon and J.D. Henderson.
After R.L. Gilmer gave the church three acres of land in 1873, a new church was built on the property. That site is about three miles south of Keithville and is adjacent to the present Fairview United Methodist Church. As the Friendship congregation grew, a larger church was built in 1895.
As the population of the area shifted, the membership voted to change the location in July 1903. This ultimately led to the end of the Friendship congregation, and many members transferred to the nearby Keithville Methodist Episcopal Church South (Keithville, La.). The Friendship church building was torn down around 1926, and all that remains in the area is the cemetery.
Source: Timothy Hebert, “The Historical Register of the Louisiana Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church,” (Louisiana: Louisiana Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church, 2004), page SH-41.