Skip to main content

Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South

 Organization

The Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South (MECS) existed from 1847 to 1848, then again 1861 to 1939. Prior to 1847, it had been the Alexandria District of the Mississippi Conference MECS. From 1848 to 1861, the district’s pastoral charges were split among other nearby districts.

In 1847, the Alexandria District reported 1,200 members (893 white, 363 colored) and 7 pastoral charges. The district consisted of congregations in central Louisiana stretching from Columbia to Bayou Chicot.

Through a multi-denominational Methodist merger in 1939, the Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference MECS became the Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Church, South Central Jurisdiction. In 1939, the district reported 8,504 members, 26 pastoral charges, and 56 congregations.

Found in 1 Collection or Record:

Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South records

 Collection
Identifier: LACUMC-Alexandria District MECS
Scope and Contents This collection consists of the minutes of annual meetings (called a District Conference) by the Alexandria District of the Louisiana Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church South. These meetings were attended by the district’s clergy and lay delegates from each pastoral charge; it was presided over by the district superintendent.The minutes document the administrative activities of the meetings and regularly include the following reports: religious and financial state of...
Dates: 1894 - 1940